|No. 1 Front Street - Grimaldi's|
Neighborhood: Fulton Ferry District - Dumbo
Built in 1869, the building that now houses Grimaldi’s was once home to the Long Island Safe Depost Company. Architect William A. Mundell designed the Venetian-palazzo styled structure at age twenty-four. Mundell was also known for designing the Williamsburg and Park Slope armories. According to the AIA Guide to New York City the “monumental bank overshadowed its older neighbors”. The cast iron design of the building is reminiscent of the structures more commonly seen in SoHo and Tribecca. Moreover, the material of choice for the building represented a departure from the Fulton Ferry neighborhood’s vernacular architecture. Both the façade and interior details were constructed with iron, in part, to insure that depositor’s valuables were safe from fire.
|No. 1 Front Street - South Elevation|
|No. 1 Front Street Entrance and Window Details|
- White, Norval, Willensky, Elliot, and Leadon, Fran AIA Guide to New York. Oxford University Press, 2010
- "Fulton Ferry Historic District Designation Report" New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission 1977
- Spellen, Suzanne "Building of the Day 1 Front Street" Brownstoner 7 December, 2010