|Old Stone House / Vechte-Cortelyou House West Facade|
|Old Stone House / Vechte-Cortelyou House East Facade|
|Old Stone House / Vechte-Cortelyou House South Facade|
|Old Stone House / Vechte-Cortelyou House North Facade|
The original farmhouse was built by Dutch settler Claes Arentson Vechte in 1699 adjacent to the Gowanus Creek near the current replica. The house was passed from generation to generation within the Vechte family until Nicholas R. Cowenhoven sold it to Jacques Cortelyou in 1797. The house was sold again in 1852 and was used as a clubhouse for a skating club and later the first clubhouse for the Brooklyn Baseball Club, the team that would become the Brooklyn Dodgers. During the tenure of the Brooklyn Baseball Club, the adjacent site, Washington Park, hosted the 1889 and 1890 World Series. In 1897 the house was razed, then buried.
During the Revolutionary War the house was used by the British as a staging area to shell retreating American troops with artillery. After the collapse of American positions on August 27th 1776 in the Battle of Brooklyn the British commandeered the house and began firing on the Maryland Brigade. The American troops led by General Alexander Sterling counterattacked six times, overtaking the house on two occasions only to be repulsed. Casualties were high with almost three quarters of the brigade killed; however their valiant effort allowed Washington's Army to escape across the Gowanus marshes to fight another day.